Wednesday, October 31, 2012

So Long Sandy!!!

I don't know how we did it, but somehow we dodged Sandy's bullets.   Family in NY and NJ are okay even if they have yet to get their power back.  Family in west central Virginia received a few inches of wet snow.  For some unknown reason, Sandy left the very center of Virginia barely touched.  We feel incredibly fortunate.   Our thoughts are prayers go out to all of those who were not so lucky.

On a happy note, two items I've been saving up for...a canner I can use on my glass top stove and a boullion strainer arrived this afternoon.   After all of the business shut downs due to Sandy, I was certain I wouldn't see them for weeks.  Way to go Amazon! 

The strainer is made in France by Matfer and received a best rating from Cook's Illlustrated.   I can't wait to make some stock and test it out.  Consomme for Thanksgiving!


The Canner, a Presto 23 Quart, isn't a top of the line canner, but its one that can be used on my glass top stove.  Someday I'll finally have that gas cooktop, but for now, we have to make do with what we have.  Tomorrow the Presto goes to the extension office to have its valve/gauge checked.  Then it's time to can!  If anyone has experience, good or bad, with either of these items, please feel free to share.


And last, but certainly not least, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!  (Our home grown 'Big Max' and 'Knucklehead' pumpkins.)


The new website is a work in progress; please visit and tell us what you think!     www.girandolefarm.webs.com



No comments:

Post a Comment